Friday 3 October 2014

Back Home in Cairo


 Oops! This has been sitting in the drafts for over a week...
It's been over a month since our Summer Break officially finished and two weeks since Jase and Chloe returned to NZ.
It was so nice to share some of our "home" with them while they were here. Apart from dragging them into school (under the pretense of having a look around) they managed to see quite a bit of Cairo. Luckily school was delayed due to changes being made with the Kindergarten area so we were able to play tour guide for a few days. A ride on the Metro train service, taxi rides and walking the streets of Maadi are so very different from NZ but they took it in their stride. I'm not sure the outside temperatures were to their liking but they seemed to acclimatize quite well. Tours of the Citadel, Khan el Khalili, a falukka ride, and Coptic Cairo were with us while the Giza pyramids, Saqqara and Dashur pyramids were seen with Memo. We even managed to organize a day at Ain Sokna beach for them, something we still have to do ourselves. There are probably other places we could have organized for them but they were only here for 10 days. For my birthday prez they took us to the Light & Sound Show at the pyramids, which was beautiful. Their departure has left a big hole in our apartment. We miss having them here blobbing out on the couch or playing scum during power cuts.
So it's back to school for us. There have been major changes - some good and some not so good but we shall see how they play out. I'm missing Katie's camaraderie but I'm sure the two newbies I'm working with will settle in. I am so glad I have Tony with me so I don't have to go through some of the settling problems that some of the single teachers have had. This year's class are very different from last years. I have my work cut out for me so I'm giving myself til Xmas to get them into shape for some quality learning. Sadly next week is a holiday so it's one step forward and two steps back. (We've only been at school 2 weeks).
I love this photo of Jase and Chloe at Giza.
Shopping at the Khan. Chloe covered up for the occasion.
Movie the more shopping at City Stars.
Falucca ride on the Nile ...
Followed by dinner at TGIF.
Classroom was all set up. Thanks to Jase, Chloe and Tony
Managed to prepare a roast dinner for friends - Kiwi style. Needed two legs
of lamb and a few bottles of wine. Downside was the dishes.
Eid decorations at school

Galabeya Day at school...
... meant dressing up like an Egyptian (for some of us).
It really is about time I publish this post. We head off to Lebanon early Sunday morning for another holiday. We've heard Beirut is beautiful so we are looking forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment